Thursday, October 29, 2009

Whats the deal with Star Wars?


As one of two girls, I never watched Star Wars growing up. I saw it once on a date in middle school and I cannot for the life of me tell you what it is about.
I can name 5 or 6 characters, but do not see what all of the fuss is about. Sorta like the Beatles. All you need is love...all you need is love...all you need is love, love- or is it that all you need is someone else to write your lyrics for you?
With that said, I am now a mother of 2 boys who gravitate towards weapons with a passion. When my older son was building with some tube shaped blocks a couple of weeks ago, I pleaded that he make something constructive- not a weapon. I said, "No guns, no swords, no knives." Down to the kitchen I go... soon I hear the yell of my younger son darting down the stairs followed by his brother who has made...an AX. Yep, an ax, which of course he was swinging at his brother. Granted, it was plastic but it was rather forbidding looking.
Today, my older son decides he wants to become a droid (apparently a S.W. character). He taped paper around his arms, legs, and chest and was shooting people with a rolled up sheet of paper. He then proceeded to tell me about the different movies, the toys he wanted from the movies, and would not stop talking. So what did I do? I turned on Star Wars. :)
Here I am, enjoying a rare moment of quiet as my baby naps and my older child becomes more obsessed.

1 comment:

Savvy-Motherhood said...

I heart Star Wars big time. In fact, we are big nerds with it.